Saturday, April 7, 2012

Week 2

Despite my in ability to spell and some logistical issues of a reasonably sized hotel room, I managed three workouts since landing in SD on Monday.  One of those days was supposed to be a rest day, and Monday I was just wiped, still suffering the ravages of my beloved Junipers. This is why they are so near and dear to me.  I carve non-functional wooden spoons, when not obsessing with being able to run again.

  
All of the wood starts out as potential household heat in the firewood before I start, but it's the same tree that grows all over our erstwhile back yard; someone else cut it down.  Anyway, there is something about the cedar smell of it and the surprises that often come out of the wood while I work it, not to mention the peace of mindless carving.  We went to Hawaii last summer and on our final day there we stumbled across a small warehouse that sells wood.  The owner was so kind and let me rummage through his odds and ends in the back of the shop, then he boxed up and shipped my prizes home to me; all of which are still stacked neatly on my work bench.  Maybe because it's finite, that I actually had to pay for it or because it doesn't smell, I just can't bring myself to use it.  Here is another photo of a spoon I gave to my dear friend Kim.

Now you know why Monday wasn't a workout day, the Junipers were still trying to do me in.  The workouts are getting a little easier, maybe in part because it's becoming familiar, don't care why.  

I've had some terrible plantar fasciitis over the past two years, just awful and I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  My theory on the sudden improvement is that the Insanity program is strengthening muscles that were contributing to the imbalance that caused the PF.  Needless to say, I'm getting pretty itchy to actually run again and even ordered a second pair of Merrell Pace Gloves yesterday.  I love Amazon. . .

1 comment:

  1. I wood haha! Love to hear more about your carving. What tools do you use? Etc.

    ReplyDelete